There is a strong possibility that you know someone who suffers from arthritis. According to statistics, arthritis is the biggest cause of disability in UK and the USA, affecting around 10 million British people and 50 million Americans. Although arthritis is a very common disease, with a big budget being spent on treatments and research there is no exact answer to the disease.
A recent survey involving 2000 people suffering from osteoarthritis (which is the most common form of arthritis) has shown that 70% of the patients experience constant pain despite taking medication. Also, the powerful painkillers prescribed to arthritis patients can cause side effects, some of them very serious. Some of the arthritis patents have searched for alternative treatment and managed to find some.
A book by former nurse and arthritis sufferer Margaret Hills, titled Curing Arthritis the Drug Free Way, published in 1985, shows the different natural treatments for arthritis such as avoiding certain foods, taking Epsom salt baths and drinking a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar three times a day.
The first thing you have to do is change certain foods in your diet. According to the theory, arthritis and other health problems are caused by excess acidity in the body, therefore getting the body’s acid/alkaline balance back can help you deal with the symptoms. An important thing you should include in your diet is apple cider vinegar because it helps break down pain. An excellent source of iron that can “help keep you regular” is Blackstrap molasses. You should also take into consideration certain supplements such as vitamin C and calcium.
The idea behind Epson salt baths is that they can draw out the impurities in the body through the pores in your skin by ion exchange. According to some of the people who used this method, it is very helpful for getting a good night’s sleep.
The book also recommends some easy exercises for the joints. Some of these exercises can be done while staying in bed. One of the patients who followed the indications provided by the book said that after three months she got rid of the pain in her spine. She stated that she was more flexible and could do activities she couldn’t before.
Here is the list of methods recommended by the book:
- Have a low acid diet which includes fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, eggs, skimmed milk, olive spread, cottage cheese, low-fat bio yogurt, homemade wholewheat bread, unsalted nuts, wholegrain rice, all vegetables, pulses, bananas and apricots. Foods and drinks such as beef, pork, butter, full-fat cheese, full-fat milk, cream, tomatoes, citrus fruit, berries, pineapple, grapes, chocolate, alcohol, tea and coffee are strictly forbidden.
- You should drink apple cider vinegar mixed with honey three times a day after each meal.
- Add one cup of Epson salt baths to your bath and make sure to soak for about 20 minutes.
- Take one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses three times a day after each meal.
- Take supplements. The ones that Hills recommends are vitamin C, zinc, calcium, D3 and K2 along with protein formula and vegetarian formula.
- Exercise as much as possible. The two most useful exercises are walking and swimming.